Sunday, January 06, 2013

Hot Chocolate Obsession

With our cold snap here in Texas and my new mug from Rolland for Christmas, I've been hitting the hot chocolate every night. It's old school cocoa that I learned how to make from my Grandma and it's sooo yummy. I've fancied it up with handmade marshmallows (they're on the list to learn how to make from scratch) from Whole Foods and Mexican Chocolate with Cinnamon. I picked up the chocolate on a whim from Spec's and have started adding a shaving over the marshmallows. Chocolate on marshmallow on chocolate seems like the perfect use for it. 

Recipe that's not really a recipe below.


Homemade Hot Chocolate

Makes 1 Serving
 
1 TBSP Cocoa
2 TBSP Sugar
Pinch of Salt (learned from The Barefoot Contessa not Grandma)
1/4 cup of water
1 cup of Milk (I use 2% but whole seems appropriate here)

Note: Most of this is done by eye and just mixing things in until they look right but I took a stab at making and writing it down as I went. Things can easily be adjusted to your taste.

Mix cocoa, sugar and salt together in a sauce pan with a whisk to get out any lumps. Add in water and mix heating over medium heat. Add milk once sugar and cocoa have dissolved. Heat to your preferred temperature and pour into your favorite mug.

Optional adding of chocolate shavings and marshmallows. You could also add in all sorts of yummy experiments like mint, peppermint, caramel, whatever sounds good.
 


No comments: